It’s not just the elderly who lose teeth. Teeth can get knocked out in an accident, while playing sport or fall out as the result of ill health or medication. Young people can also fall prey to the pains of missing teeth.
If you choose not to have your tooth replaced, it leads to one set of difficulties:
- the jawbone loses density at the site of a lost tooth
- missing a number of teeth can cause your face to sag
- you will start to favour one side of your mouth for biting into and chewing food. This will cause uneven wear on your remaining teeth and could even lead to further premature tooth loss
- and then there is the social and self-esteem aspect. It could be that you don’t mind your gappy grin. Or maybe you do, and you choose not to smile or laugh in public, or you cover your mouth, because you don’t want others to see it
- and maybe you don’t feel so great about yourself, seeing the empty space in your smile in the bathroom mirror.
If you do get them replaced with a bridge or partial denture, there’s a whole other set of issues to contend with:
- the jawbone will still lose its density and structure. It needs roots to maintain these
- bridges normally require neighbouring, healthy teeth to be ground down to secure them in place
- dentures can affect speech, become loose and have to be taken out to clean. They also restrict food choices, because they only give about 25% of the chewing power of a natural tooth. Plus, keeping your teeth by the side of your bed at night can make you feel old before your time.
Fortunately, there is a way to replace missing teeth that overcomes all these issues: dental implants in Milton Keynes.
Because dental implants in Milton Keynes replace the root as well as the crown, the jawbone rebuilds itself around the implant, restoring its density and structure. Neighbouring teeth aren’t affected by implants, and speech and chewing power are also restored to natural levels.
The balance of your bite is back, and you’ll have a smile you can feel proud of again. Find out more here at Northlight Dental.